Friday, May 29, 2009

Jury Duty

Light blogging this week- a lot going on!

I've been called up for Jury Duty twice- down in Atlanta. Both times I was dismissed. One time I made it all the way to questioning. The case was about a male professor who hit a female student at Emory with his car and she was suing for chiropractor bills many moons after the accident. They found out my husband was a resident physician in training and I mentioned my skepticism about certain aspects of chiropractic care and that was enough to dismiss me. Can you imagine if I would have said something like: "I believe that weight should be given to the fact that this was a white male professor hitting a minority female student"?

I just read this great article at National Review online which makes the case that Supreme Court nominee Sotomayor isn't even qualified to sit on a jury with her stated biases- let alone on the Supreme Court. If Republicans were wise, they'd fight this nomination, tie Sotomayor's ridiculous bigoted statements to Obama's views on race and then debate this thing. I'm not holding my breath.

And a quick FYI- here is the simple oath of office for our Supreme Court Justices:

"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."

Obviously Obama would be unfit to hold that office...as would most Democrats these days.

1 comment:

Preppy 101 said...

I saw a bit about Soto tonight on the news. Comments she made about white male judges, blah, blah, blah. I would love to see this scrutinized to the nth degree. Blog when you can this week. Is it legal to blog while doing Jury Duty?? ;-) What great material!