Friday, April 10, 2009

On My DVR

I caught part of the pilot episode of NBC's new show "Parks and Recreation" last night. It's like "The Office"- for City Politics. I love the mockumentary genre "Waiting for Guffman" (about local community theatre which I used to do) is a favorite movie.

"Parks and Recreation" takes place in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana where Park and Rec Deputy Director (there's a Deputy Director) Leslie Knoppe (SNL's Amy Poehler) wants to turn a construction pit into a park. The show's website even has a timeline for the pit's progress. Of course it's NBC so there are shots at the right- including a Mayor who wants to privatize the Parks system in Pawnee and run it like a corporation citing "Chuck-e-Cheese" as an ideal business model.

For someone like me who follows politics locally, it's absolutely hilarious. Observing the interaction between people in power and out of power, the staff, the newspaper, the activists in the community- you find many colorful characters.

The hopeful Knoppe ends the show- "I'm barely 34, and I've landed a Parks Department exploratory subcommittee'

The entire pilot is on Hulu-Here's a clip:

4 comments:

Gavin Sullivan said...

Awfully reminiscent of The Office, no?

Prep-E Girl said...

I thought that they mayor's comments were hysterical. My husband has that same opinion about parks!

*Laugh*

-E

Cool Gal said...

Watched it. Hilarious!! :)

Loved the drunk Amy Pohler.

Jim said...

I gave it a watch. It's a cute show, but I still like The Office more.

I too liked the mustache guy. I'm not sure that he's the mayor. That bio just says he's the boss. It'll be interesting to see why he's in that job. Destroy it from within? Elected official?