Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Speaking of Schools....

I received the EP Schools Report in the mail last week....


Here were a few of the activities they highlighted around the district:

















Anti-bullying programs and Kindness Retreats-- it's a good thing Obama's lengthening the school-day, I mean, this is important stuff.


And a choir program "My planet, your planet"....Do you remember the songs you sang in Elementary School music classes? We learned American classics like "My Darling Clementine" and "Oh Susannah" and learned a little history along the way. We had fun singing "Witches Brew"-- does anybody remember that one? There were songs about bunnies at Easter time (I still remember all the words to one) and songs about Santa at Christmas. Now they sing about turning off the lights. I'd love to see the lyrics to these tunes, maybe they go like this:


(To the tune of "Clementine")

Oh, my mommy, oh, my mommy,

My mommy drives an SUV

She's a dirty, rotten fascist


Cuz she's killing all the trees

Didn't your parents handle all of these subjects? My dad used to bellow "turn off the lights!" and my mom "turn off that water". We rode our bikes because we liked to ride them, not to "save the planet".


These are the same kids who will be soon be writing the desperate letters to the editor about the planet being in peril that I see in the local papers. Is there anything more obnoxious than a kid telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing?


Shouldn't parents be able to handle the subjects of being kind and not picking on people? Why is there a standardized curriculum for this? My parenting style is to teach my kids to- "be kind to people who are kind to you" and "if somebody is bullying somebody else, you have my permission to call them stupid". My 8-year-old nephew has it down- if someone picks on him, he just says "yeah, whatever"-- he hasn't had "bullying programming"-- shouldn't that be enough?


I remember asking my mom once (a softie social worker) why she didn't intervene more when there was teasing when we were little- she said matter-of-factly, "because it's life, you're going to get picked on constantly in life, you had better get used to it".


Not anymore. Kids now expect a bed of roses (non-greenhouse-gas-producing-roses I mean).


The schools are out-of-control with political correctness.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I remember a new rule when I was at CMS was that they cracked down on all the 12 and 13 year olds calling each other "fag." Totally immature, I know, but what do you expect from 7th grade boys... the crackdown was that they started giving detentions for saying it, even if it was among friends and totally meaningless. It was silly that you could punch a kid and get the same punishment as calling your friend a name. Or at least that was the rumor. The solution, of course, was to save that particular name calling for when there wasn't a teacher around.

We were already singing slave songs when I went through the lower grades. John Henry, and "Way down yonder in the middle of the field..." Another song I remember was Waltzing Matilda... always pandering to the aussie demographic :)

I don't think we sang "holiday" songs, but I can't remember. If we did, it didn't stick in my memory b/c I already knew the words. They certainly were already going out of their way to never say Easter or Christmas when talking about "Spring Break" or "Winter Break." Eventually, the days of Spring Break actually stopped including Easter, so I guess they win. I also remember the day they stole Columbus Day and replaced it with MLK day as a day off.

With all these efforts in schools to never allow anyone to be offended, it's no wonder there are so many hyper-sensitive sissies in the world. Oops, I probably just offended someone by saying that.

Goose said...

When Johnny comes marching home again, hurrah! hurrah! What happened to good ole' war songs?! You know, when I was in Ireland a couple years ago, the people there relish their history and national identity and sung the 10 Irish anthems with fervor late into the early mornings in the pubs. Here, the Pledge of Allegiance is a lighting rod for certain citizens. Sad, very very sad.

Trees, shmees. They are an agricultural, harvestable, resource now in the USA, not an endangered species like the revered spotted owl and the great manatee.

When my son was 2, some bigger kid hit him and he cried and the kid's parent was appalled and apologized. I laughed, because I assumed my kid did something wrong and got what he deserved. I said if he didn't hit back, then he probably had it coming.