Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Ah, tis a wonderful day to be wearing the green!

I'm a big genealogy buff and have studied my family's ancestry on and off for years- (I'll study yours too if you ask nicely!)

My dad never knew his own grandfather's name as his father was sent to live with his maternal aunts as a baby when his mom died in childbirth in 1900. After three years of research, correspondence with a wonderful cousin and letters back and forth to the Waterford Heritage Center in Ireland (not to mention some money) we found that Daniel Corbett emigrated from Clogheen, County Tipperary in the mid-1880's. His NYC bride- Mary Gorman- was from the same village in Ireland. My dad's maternal grandparents- the Mawhinney's and Garvins- were from County Tyrone in Northern Ireland.

My mom has loved to tease my dad for years that he's not actually 100% Irish- he is. This is "his day"--He sings in sort of a bad Irish brogue and wears green pants that he's had since 1982. I'm so grateful that my mom and dad will be here to celebrate along with Grandma Fran (half-Irish). Poor Todd just plays along- he has a tiny dose of Irish blood somewhere along the way- but not enough to sing bar songs or dance a jig.

I'm off to the grocery store to buy food for tonight-I'll make the requisite corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner and throw in some gourmet potato leek soup and Irish Cream cake. (the Irish eat none of this of course- they're really big on lamb).

We drink Jameson's whiskey (well not this year for me) and play "So you think that you're Irish" trivia. We'll tell some sad stories and cry about some recent family misfortune and then gossip a bit about some poor family member. "Old Irishing" is what it's called

My favorite Irish Bar Song is "Dear Old Donegal", but my guess is you don't know that one...perhaps you're more familiar with the tearjerker "Danny Boy"- this is the best version of that song:





P.S. Our President and VP have Irish roots too...

No comments: