Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Break

I wanted to let you know that I'm taking some time off from posting.

On our way home from the airport on Saturday night, I got a call from my sister. My father had a stroke. He is in Southdale Hospital and I'm back and forth right now with a lot of unknowns.


My dad is a great guy with a brilliant mind. He plays Soduku puzzles and does the NYT Crossword puzzle daily. He has an amazing head for numbers- from Baseball Stats to Stock Margins. He was the #1 caretaker for my mom's cancer last year and he had just booked a cruise for them 24 hours before this happened.

We hope he will be back with us very soon.

Politics is a passion, but my family is the passion in my life. I have a close, close-knit group of siblings and we are close with our parents. We are quite clan-like in our loyalty to each other.


Most importantly, we have a very deep faith in God that always pulls us through. My mom had a miraculous recovery last year from a cancer with a 4% one year survival rate, so we don't bother much with statistics and even though I'm married to a Doctor, I know that they certainly don't know everything.

My dad received the Annointing of the Sick Sacrament today and he grasped my hand tightly- his parish priest made the trip over even though no request was made. He just heard dad was sick- that's what you get for dutifully attending mass at the same church for 20 years.

They asked dad if he knew the President's Name- he said "Yes", but when they asked him what the name was he said "No". Now that could be taken as a bad sign, but I have a feeling my Republican dad had Obama on his mind and just didn't want to say his name.

Please use the subscribe feature if you want to know when new posts are up. I'm sure I'll have something to say about the Inauguration :)

If you're a person of faith, please keep me and my family in your prayers.

Sheila

3 comments:

suburban prep said...

Prayers for your father and your family.

Mary said...

Dad is #1 Republican Man in Minnesota and more than makes up for all the pussy men in Kenwood who vote for liberals. Dad's famous "I gotta get out of here" when going off about Minnesota politics. For Sheila's Minnesota friends: We will provide updates about Dad on www.caringbridge.org. For the website fill in lucycorbett (Mom's old site--it's like a Two Fer). You have to register but that's where to get the scoop versus calling.

bev said...

We are, and we will. Our prayers are with you, your Dad and family, Sheila.