Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tis the Season for Abortion-Rights Door-Knocking!

Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

It's the holiday season- so what does that mean?

The annual NARAL door-to-door canvassing. Since I moved her four years ago, folks from the National Abortion Rights Action League have knocked my door every year about this time. I know how this works, I know they have databases and walk-lists, why do they keep knocking on my door?

They were here about two weeks ago. A young man this time. I wish I had the presence of mind to hear them out and to try to lure them into telling me more about their cause. I can't do it. I always politely say "We're Pro-Life" and move to close the door.

I understand going door-to-door to sign petitions for the environment. I understand going door-to-door to sell coffee of wrapping paper for your school. I understand going door-to-door to pitch a political candidate. I understand going door-to-door to raise the cause of AIDS in Africa or hungry children closer to home or even to protest against the War. I can understand the passion that would cause people to go out on a very cold night and door knock strangers. I can't understand door-knocking to sign up people to ensure that abortion is legal at every stage, for any reason.

Of course- the volunteers are paid, so that might explain some of it. College students will sell their plasma (and other bodily fluids) for money. I don't know.

It's a sad cause to me.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

check this out planned parenthood is selling gift certificates

just what everyone wants in their stocking

phil said...

They were in my neighborhood the week after the election. My heart sank as I saw a neighbor invite them in.

Sheila said...

Ginny- that is nuts

I didn't believe it- sure enough here's the link to the Indiana site- I wonder how sales are going

http://www.ppin.org/news.aspx?NewsID=84

liz said...

It is a sad day when animals have more rights than an unborn child. Merry Christmas!

Goose said...

They have come to my house before. A couple years ago I had the good fortune of my 1 year old grabbing my leg when I opened the door. After hearing the commercial I asked the person if they could fathom me killing this beautiful 1 year old? No response from the peanut gallery and they left.

Sheila said...

Way to go goose!

One year- I added "we're Catholic, we're Pro-Life"- and moved to close the door, the young lady piped back- "My parents are Cathoilic and they're Pro-Choice"-- I said "they're not very good Catholics then" and closed the door.