Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Goodbye Friend


I received some sad news last night, a friend passed away.

I only knew Jim Tucker for a little over a year. I met him through local Republican politics. He was a staunch conservative and I always enjoyed talking to him and learning from him.

He was a man in the style of Steve McQueen- and they just don't make them like that anymore.

A lanky blond with tough-guy cool and a biting sense of humor. (The first time we met after one of my diatribes he observed "you're like June Cleaver on crack".)

He loved life and lived it to the fullest. We met for coffee in August to talk about local politics and the election. Jim had just put a beautiful tattoo on his forearm with a huge American Flag, Bald Eagle and special law enforcement motto. I'm not a tattoo person- but men like Jim wear them so well and put punk-inked-teenagers to shame. Jim didn't feel like eating or drinking anything that day and a few weeks later after his trip to Sturgis, he was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer.

I saw him again in mid-September and we tried to get together a few weeks back, but couldn't get our schedules together. I wish I would have dropped everything to meet him for coffee.

He was retired FBI who volunteered his time to search for abducted children around the country with The National Center for Exploited Children. He drove his Harley with his wife Terry on the back seat. He was so proud of his two sons one of whom is an active-duty Marine in Afghanistan. He loved his German Shepherd "puppy" Diamond. He was a great cook and baked cakes too.

I'm glad that Jim didn't have to suffer long with this horrible cancer, but so sad that Terry didn't have more time with him. I know he's in the arms of our Lord, I know the wind is in his hair and he is free. Peace be with you Jim.




2 comments:

Cool Gal said...

Wow. That's sad.

David said...

Thank you for this post. I also am blessed to have known Jim. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.